International Student

International Student

Thank you for your interest in Columbia Basin College (CBC)! CBC is a fully accredited college located in the northwest region of the United States. Our main campus is in the city of Pasco in southeastern Washington State.

As an international student, you would be attending CBC on an F-1 visa working towards earning one of our Associate in Arts & Sciences (AA/DTA) degrees, an Associate in Science Transfer (AS-T) degree, or an or Associate in Applied Science Transfer (AAS-T) degree so that you can transfer to a four-year university. You may also choose from the eligible degree options below for Associate in Applied Science (AAS) and Bachelor in Applied Science (BAS) degrees. However, these degrees are not designed for transfer, although some classes may be accepted for transfer by four-year institutions.

  • International student admissions requirements

    At CBC, we understand international admissions can be complicated, but we’re here to help YOU through the application process!

    Includes the following items:

    • International Student Admission Application
    • Certificate of Financial Responsibility
    • Affidavit of Support (if applicable)


    At CBC, we accept TOEFL, IELTS and STEP language proficiency exams. These exams are required if English is not your native language, and there are minimum scores. Have your official scores sent directly to CBC!

    TOEFL (CBC's code: 4077)
    Minimum Score: 59 internet-based (iBT)

    Minimum Score: 5.5 combined score with a score of 5 or higher in both reading and writing. 

    Minimum Score: Grade Pre-1

    Please provide a copy of your high school diploma.

    Have you attended any other colleges or universities? Submit copies of your official transcripts translated into English and evaluated on a course-by-course basis by a NACES® member certified translation agency from all previous colleges and/or universities.

    Please also submit:

    • College/university transcripts (unofficial transcripts are acceptable with your admissions application, and official transcripts will be required upon acceptance)

    • Photocopies of all previously issued I-20 forms

    • CBC F-1 Transfer-In Form (after acceptance to CBC)

      • SEVIS requires a US address when your transfer is processed. When you submit the transfer form, please be sure to share the physical address in Washington state you’ll be living at while you’re studying at CBC. You'll attend classes in person as an F1 student, so you'll want to be sure this address is within driving distance of campus.

    You're responsible for obtaining your own housing during your studies at CBC. You are not required to live on campus, but you will need to find a place to stay within driving distance of the College in Washington state, so we encourage you to plan ahead.

    Interested in student housing? Here at CBC, we offer a three-story student apartment housing facility, Sunhawk Hall, across the street from the Pasco campus. For more information, visit the Student Housing website.

    Rooms can fill quickly, so we encourage you to apply early if you’re considering campus housing!

    If you’re a new international applicant completing the Student Housing Application, you won’t yet have your SID number or CBC email. Don’t worry, you can still apply! Just enter “F1” in both the SID Number and CBC email fields when you fill out your application.

  • Application deadlines

    You’ll want to submit your admissions application by the following dates:

    Quarter You'd Like to Start Attending CBC: Application Deadline: Approximate Quarter Start:
    Summer March 1 Late June
    Fall July 1 Late September
    Winter October 1 Early January
    Spring January 1 Early April


  • Eligible degree options

    Associate in Arts & Sciences Degree (AA/DTA)

    Associate in Arts & Sciences in Business (AA/DTA/MRP)

    Associate in Arts & Sciences in Math Education (AA/DTA)

    Associate in Science Transfer (AS-T1)
    Biology/Environmental Science/Chemistry/Geology/Earth Sciences

    Associate in Science Transfer (AS-T2)
    Engineering/Computer Science/Physics/Atmospheric Sciences

    This is an special admissions program.  So if you state this as your intended degree, your I-20 will reflect the Associate in Arts & Sciences Degree (AA/DTA) initially. Then when you're accepted to the program, we’ll issue you an updated I-20.

    Associate in Applied Science - Transfer in Nursing (ADN)


    Associate in Applied Science in Cyber Security (AAS)

    Associate in Applied Science in Information Technology (AAS)

    These are special admissions programs. So if you state one of these as your intended degree, your I-20 will reflect the Associate in Arts & Sciences Degree (AA/DTA) initially. Then when you're accepted to the program, we’ll issue you an updated I-20.

    Bachelor of Applied Science in Cyber Security (BAS)

    Bachelor of Applied Science in Information Technology (BAS)

  • Submission location

    Please submit your completed International Student Admissions Application with the additional documents listed in person or by US mail to the address below. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed until all documents have been received.

    International Student Program 
    Columbia Basin College 
    2600 North 20th Ave. MS-H4
    Pasco, WA 99301-3379 

  • Finances

    As an international student, you’re required to pay international tuition rates for each term of study, no matter how long you stay in Washington State. As required by the US Department of Homeland Security (DHS), you must provide evidence of financial responsibility for the entire length of time you’re planning to study, as you’re not eligible for financial assistance. 

    Opportunities for on-campus employment are extremely limited, and under an F-1 visa, you’re not eligible to work off campus except in some very special circumstances. You should assume no money or employment is available from the College while you’re attending CBC.

  • Insurance

    All international students are required to have health insurance. You may purchase insurance through Washington State Colleges or provide proof of equivalent insurance from your country.

  • Registration and grade requirements

    CBC has four quarters that you may choose to begin attending in: fall, winter, spring, and summer*.

    Your visa requires that you’re enrolled in a minimum of 12 credits each quarter within your designated degree (course of study) and maintain a 2.0 GPA. No more than one online class (ARR) is allowed per quarter. In addition, any classes taken above the 12 credit requirement may be considered unrelated and don't have to meet degree requirements.

    Please note, during your summer vacation quarter* you're not required to take classes, as it will be your only quarter off. However, if you choose to take classes during your summer vacation quarter they don't have to be within your degree requirements.

    *International students are allowed to take one quarter off per academic year, so CBC has designated summer quarter as your vacation quarter. If you're interested in starting summer quarter, please note the vacation quarter doesn't apply to your first quarter.

  • What happens after you get accepted to CBC?

    You'll be issued an acceptance letter with specific dates and items that need to be completed.

    Arrive in Washington state by the date specified in your acceptance letter, which is approximately two weeks prior to the start of the quarter. Please note, you may enter the US up to 30 days before the first day of the quarter.

    More details will be provided in your acceptance letter.

    • Receive your Student ID (SID) number.
    • Take Placement (self-assessment taken online prior to arrival).
    • Receive your updated I-20.
    • Provide your passport and I-94.
    • Meet with your International Student academic advisor for orientation and to register for classes.

    You'll pay tuition on a quarterly basis after you've registered for classes.

  • Talk with your DSO First

    As an F-1 student studying in the US, your DSO should be the first person you talk with if you have any questions regarding the requirements of your stay. It’s very important to be sure you’re in compliance with your visa, and we’re here to help!

    Contact your CBC DSO if you are planning to do any of the following:

    • Move to a new address or change your phone number
    • Travel outside the US
    • Change your major, program, or degree
    • Complete your degree
    • Register for your last quarter at CBC
    • Request a transfer to a new school
    • Request an authorized early withdrawal due to extenuating circumstances 
    • Request a program extension
    • Make any other change or request that would affect your visa status - if you’re not sure, ask!
  • Contact us



  • Phone:509-547-0511

  • Address:2600 N. 20th Ave., Pasco, WA 99301

  • Office Hours:Monday to Wednesday: 7 am to 4:30 pmThursday: 9 am to 4:30 pmFriday: 7 am to noon

The H building on CBC's Pasco campus