Assistive Technology Available for Loan & Training
- ReadSpeaker for digital texts with text-to-speech support
- Glean (notetaking software)
- Digital recorder
- Real-time captioning (“CART”)
- VRI (Video Remote Interpreting) for American Sign Language interpreting
- Speech recognition software
- Ergonomic keyboard
- Ergonomic mouse
- Hearing device (FM system)
- SmartView360 (magnification screen)
- JAWS (screen reader)
- NVDA (screen reader)
- Magnifying glass
To be eligible for assistive technology device or software license loan from Disability Support Services, you must establish and maintain the following requirements:
- Be enrolled as a current CBC student for the duration of the loan period.
- Complete the Quarterly Activation of Accommodations with DSS that includes the requested assistive technology.
- Be up-to-date on required forms, including the CBC Technology Loan Agreement (Disability Support Services).
If one or more of these items is missing for the current quarter, you will be informed of the date by which outstanding items must be completed. If one or more items listed here remains missing, the devices previously loaned will become due within seven (7) days. Likewise, your access to software licenses will be suspended.
- Check your Columbia Basin College student email. Confirm you have received an email
from Disability%20Support%20Services%20Assistive%20Technology%20%28atcFREECOLUMBIA_BASIN%29 notifying you that your assistive technology accommodations are ready. The email
subject reads: Assistive Technology [QUARTER, YEAR] (e.g., Assistive Technology Fall
- For devices: Find the link to the CBC Technology Loan Agreement (Disability Support Services)
within the email. Click the link.
- For devices: Complete the CBC Technology Loan Agreement (Disability Support Services). You must
be logged in to your CBC student email address to complete the form.
- For devices: You will receive an email explaining how to pick up your device, along with its due date.
- For software: Your email from Disability Support Services Assistive Technology will contain steps you must follow to receive software access. Follow these completely and reply to our email with questions you have.
- Check your CBC student email daily.
- Reply promptly to email from Disability%20Support%20Services%20Assistive%20Technology%20%28atcFREECOLUMBIA_BASIN%29 regarding assistive technology devices or software and submit required information
or forms to ensure timely set-up and training. If you do not reply to our emails in
a timely manner, this can result in delays.
- For devices: Complete a new Quarterly Activation of Accommodations form and a new CBC Technology Loan Agreement for each quarter you are in attendance and want to use a device.
Captions display the audio content of media, like videos, in text format. Captions are displayed in time with the audio. We provide captioning services as an accommodation to ensure course content is accessible to students.
Assistive Technology for the Classroom
We provide access to technology and training in how to use it when your accommodations include assistive technology for classroom use.
Real-time captioning provides captions (synchronized transcript of spoken language) on a laptop screen. Real-time captioning in the classroom uses Zoom for an audio feed. You can view the captions by logging into the user portal or right inside of Zoom. This service requires prior set-up consultation and training. Look for our email to your student email address and reply as soon as you can.
VRI provides ASL interpreting by video call (typically Zoom). Your interpreter will listen to the spoken language in the classroom and interpret for you in ASL. CBC uses a laptop or tablet for this service. This service requires prior set-up consultation and training. Look for our email to your student email address and reply as soon as you can.
The SmartView 360 uses an integrated camera on a monitor that magnifies images on the whiteboard, on your work surface (e.g., your textbook, your notebook, etc.), and in the classroom to help you see clearly. This item requires prior set-up consultation and training. Look for our email to your student email address and reply as soon as you can.