Dual Credit

Maximize your high school learning with Dual Credit!

    Students talking
    CTE Dual Credit

    Interested in Dual Credit within the Career and Technical Education program?

    Learn More!

    Earn College Credit in High School? With Dual Credit, You Can!

    Did you know some programs allow you to earn college credit, sometimes at no cost, while you are in high school? At CBC, we offer multiple ways to earn dual credit, including exam-based and course-based options!

    • Course-Based Dual Credit, also known as concurrent enrollment, you enroll in a class that has the potential to earn both high school and college credit. Course based dual credit classes can be offered at the college through Running Start or at the high school through CTE Dual Credit.

    • Exam-Based Dual Credit allows you to take an exam like the Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), or Cambridge International (CI) and apply to receive college credit with certain scores.
     Frequently Asked Questions
    • I have taken an exam (AP, IB, or CI). How do I submit my scores for credit?

      When you complete the exam, the organization (AP, IB or CI) creates an official transcript for you. Request your transcript from the organization with instructions to send it directly to CBC. Please note: some institutions may charge a fee.

      Send your scores to:
      Columbia Basin College
      Attn: Student Records
      2600 N. 20th Ave, MS-H4
      Pasco, WA  99301

      Once your scores have been reviewed, you will receive an email notification.


    • I can't find my transcripts with the organization. Help!

      Don't worry! Each institution has a special name for their transcripts.

      • Advanced Placement: The official transcript is referred to as the AP Score Reports and is issued by The College Board. The AP Score Report is sent directly to colleges and universities as identified by the student to The College Board.
      • International Baccalaureate: The International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO) provides an official transcript of grades. The transcript is sent directly to colleges and universities as identified by the student to IBO.
      • Cambridge: Cambridge International provides a results sheet. A student must request that Cambridge send the results sheet directly to a college or university identified by the student.


    • What does my score mean?

      Credit awarded for exam scores differs by college. The type and amount of credit awarded is based on the learning outcomes of the course or program and the exam score and is determined by faculty in the relevant discipline.

      In Washington, law requires all public higher education institutions to award as much possible college credit as is appropriate for the following exam scores:

      • 3 or higher on AP exams
      • 4 or higher on standard-level and higher-level IB exams
      • E(e) or higher on A- and AS-Level Cambridge International exams


    • What courses are equivalent to my test score?

    • Is more credit better?

      In general, no! There are many important factors to consider, including fit and mindful credit accumulation. Your high school curriculum choices should be determined by your personal, career and educational goals and interests. You should work closely with your guidance counselor to determine the courses that best fit with your goals. We want you to maximize your opportunities and avoid unintentionally eliminating college and career pathways and encountering financial aid issues.


    H Building