We want you to be successful at Columbia Basin College. Placement tests are designed to determine your readiness to enter college coursework. Placement tests are also used to qualify students for the Running Start program.
ACCUPLACER (Reading & Sentence Skills) and ALEKS (Math) assessments are currently administered through the Assessment Center at Columbia Basin College for placement into English and Math courses. To support the open access mission at the College, students applying to CBC will not be charged an admission/testing fee prior to enrollment.
SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT
1. Prospective CBC students: Complete an online admission application and receive a student ID number prior to
scheduling an appointment.
2. If you are testing for a union, other institution, or not enrolling at CBC, contact the Assessment Center to
schedule using your social security number and pay a $40 assessment fee at Hawk Central (Building H). Please
bring the receipt to your appointment.
3. Visit the online Assessment Center testing calendar to view available dates and times. Study resources available on the testing center website. New students may schedule their placement test online at
4. Students whose scores have expired or are eligible to retake may call the Assessment Center at 509-547-0511 one to two weeks in advance to schedule an appointment or visit Building H, Room H119.
5. Walk-In Thursdays – no appointments necessary - 9:30 am - 1:00 pm. Retakes 9:30 am - 2:00 pm.
6. Exams are not timed, however, choose a time when you can allow 2-4 hours to complete your assessment in
one session. Less time if retesting in only one or two areas.
Running Start testers can call or visit the Assessment Center to schedule an appointment. Please have your social
security number available for scheduling purposes. You may contact the Assessment Center for further assistance if you do not have access to your SSN. You will not need to apply to the College prior to making an appointment. If testing for CBC, no charge is required to test. Individuals testing for another institution are charged a $40 testing fee. Students with Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium (SBAC) scores are encouraged to bring them to your appointment for processing.
Students with documented learning and/or physical disabilities requiring testing or classroom accommodations,
please call the CBC Resource Center at 509-542-4412 before scheduling a placement test.
RETAKE/EXPIRATION POLICY (Highest score is used as long as it is valid)
ACCUPLACER: Retakes - One per subject within an anniversary year.
Expiration - Reading/Sentence Skills scores valid for 2 years.
ALEKS: Retakes – Two within an anniversary year.
Expiration - Math scores valid for 1 year.
ITEMS WE PROVIDE
1. Pencils and scratch paper.
2. ALEKS - No outside calculators permitted. An online calculator will be accessible, when permitted, inside exam delivery.
TEST DAY REMINDERS
1. Bring valid current photo identification and arrive 15 minutes prior to your appointment time for check-in. No testing without proper identification. Running Start candidates should know their social security number.
2. Visitors, parents, spouses, friends, and/or children are not allowed to wait in the testing center.
3. Cell phones, electronic devices, and personal belongings will be collected. Food and drink are not permitted in the testing room.
4. Take your time and do your best! Placement tests are used to determine Math and English course readiness.
5. Be sure you understand your placement results and keep your score report in a safe place.
Home | Campus Safety | Catalog | Campus Map | Parking Information
2600 N. 20th Ave., Pasco, WA 99301 | PHONE 509.547.0511 | FAX Directory
© 2014 Columbia Basin College. All Rights Reserved. | Website Created by Vision Internet.